Facebook friends +Twitter followers + Instagram + Phone contacts + Snapchat, Vine, etc contacts = your friend count. Wow, according to that equation I am 1,500 strong!
Let's define who these friends are since modern technology defines a friend differently than I did in high school (GO VIKINGS!).
1. Facebook friends: high school friends; college roommates; work associates from every job you ever had; anyone you ever heard of or someone you know has heard of; someone you have a friend in common with so you think you should know them --maybe you did back in the day so, just in case, you friend them.
2. Twitter followers: anyone with access to news, details, 411 that you might be interested in or opposed to.
3. Instagram: anyone you know that is still in middle or high school; friends of your children; foes of your children you think you need to be in the know about.
4. Telephone contacts: anyone that ever called you; anyone you are afraid will call you so you need to know not to answer; peeps who love to talk in emoticons via instant messenger.
5. Others that you love enough to keep up with even though they are:
a. of an older generation not interested in social media
b. anti social media
c. out of minutes and data for the month
d. friends who live so far on the back side of no where cable companies & cell towers refuse to go
Now let's talk about a deeper friendship
Some of my 1,500---from church, family, community, childhood, work, baseball & football...
6. Being a Christian Friend:
- Faithful, constant--unwavering, helps in time of stress
- Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times,
- Do not forsake your friend or a friend of your family...
- Proverbs 18: 24 One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
- Merciful, kind, relentless
- Luke 11:5-8
- Inspires you to be a stronger Christian; does not encourage you to be worldly
- James 4:4
- You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God?Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.
- Prays for you
- Philemon 1