Friday, July 25, 2014

How do you kill snakes??

Snakes are clearly on the move!  I have seen multiple FB comments about snakes today alone!  I am not a fan of snakes but I do understand they are on the move so I expect to see them outside.  Recently we had a ring neck black snake in our pool....that day we excercised catch and release.  HOWEVER, I do draw the line.  This week while Lance was at work, I hear a scream....SNAKE!  What?? Everyone is inside, this must be a joke!  No!  A small black snake is inching his way around my son's bathroom.

Panic did overwhelm me, but as any good woman would do, the first move is to grab the closest weapon!  Going for a gun means the snake has a chance to slither away.  Calling the neighbor is how we ended up playing catch and release last week.  Therefore, the snake was sucked up in to the infamous Electrolux vacuum cleaner which was sitting nearby! 


The story becomes more comical...I throw the vacuum in to the yard. It is trash pick up day; isn't it time for a new vacuum?  My frugal side realizes I am about to trash a very expensive vacuum (yes it is old but it still works wonders) so I send my child for scissors!  Yes, I cut the vacuum bag open.  I need to make sure the snake is inside before I decide if I should keep the vacuum.

He is inside the bag.  I need to know if a mommy snake is likely to be nearby and if she is, is she poisonous.  I send for a trash bag.  I tie the snake (and the vacuum bag) up and call Lance to come id him!  He does...it is a baby ring neck black snake -- probably one whose mommy we sent packing last week!

What lesson have I found in this?  First, do not call neighbors or they will not kill the snake.  KILL the snake because they come back! 

Secondly, I put a great deal of effort in to eliminatiing this snake, identifying his threat level, and then I mutilated him to make sure he could not give me a second heart attack!  

I wonder if we put this much effort in to sin in our lives.  When we know it is present, do we just push it off to the side knowing it may come back (a nice game of catch and release)? Or, do we look for the closest weapon available to get rid of it?  Once we know the threat is secured, do we assess the threat level, and ensure there is no chance of return? 

As Christians, this means understanding spitirual warfare, and exercising our right to it! Ignoring problems and thinking we can tackle them on our own is like playing catch and release.  Grabbing our sword (the Bible) and letting the serpent know we will not tolerate his presence is the only way to assure Satan we will not stand for his temptations.  According to 1 Peter 5:8, he prowls around like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. He doesn't just show up in obvious places (outside)...he enters our homes and our comfort zones and poses a threat hoping we won't think fast enough to act.  So, be equipped to act fast.  Keep the Bible close to your heart (Psalm 119:11) so you don't have to go roaming off looking for answers.  God will bring scripture to our memory if we hide it in our heart! (Proverbs 2:1) 

I hope not to see another snake inside, but I can promise if I do, the vacuum is ready!  In the same way, I challenge each of us to memorize at least one verse a week so we can pull that sword out fast when the serpent comes lurking!
 



More on spiritual warfare:
Ephesians 6:10-12
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.…

No comments:

Post a Comment