Sunday, January 10, 2016

Are you living for your future or in the past of others?


If you knew there was a ticking time bomb about to explode would you do something about it?  Let's explore if there may be one on your night stand...

The alarm goes off....weary eyed with feet not touching the ground yet, a black object lingers in the background as your eyes adjust to locate it.  You realize if you do not reach for it, the world may come to an end...a tragedy could occur.  Before moving from the comfort of your covers, you reach for it....press four digits, tap an icon and at last, you are awake.  With the scroll of a finger you can visit the amazon (or just visit amazon to shop), enjoy your friends lives, and explore the lives of hundreds of others.  With a grin, you realize the world did not come to an end, you did not win the lottery, and your life savings did not disappear in the stock markets.

But wait... as you enter the shower your mind races wondering why you did not get invited to that event, realizing you must not be a good mother---I mean you haven't had family photos in years not to mention the need to lose ten pounds---

Is that your morning routine?  If so, you are not living purposefully for your future but unintentionally in the past of others.

Thus, on the horizon is an explosion of your spiritual well being...score, Satan has stolen your joy for the day. Mission accomplished.  1 Peter 5:8 tells us Satan prowls around like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. He knows he cannot steal your salvation but he can steal your joy.

As a side note, I am not opposed to social media...I am on Instrgram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat...I have played around with Brighten explored Yik Yak neither of which am I a fan of.

Ask these questions to yourself in first person....

How do I know if I am living in the past of others unintentionally?

1.  I scroll statuses more often than I talk to my spouse, children, or best friend.

2.  I scroll before I get out of bed.

3.  I spend more time scrolling than reading God's word.

4.  Envy arises when I see what others are doing.

5.  I covet what I see as I scroll.

6.  My mood changes for the worse when I scroll.

7. I cannot attend an event or eat a meal with others without pausing for a quick scroll.

How do I know if my social media time is part of my purposeful living?

1.  I enjoy keeping up with family and friends on social media--I love to see what they are doing...and I am ok if I was not included!

2.  I pray for things I learn about on social media.

3.  I celebrate things I learn about as I scroll.

4.  I would survive without social media but I am smart enough to know I will be left behind if I don't have these apps...not to mention I need to keep up with my children!

5.  I openly express my faith using social media as a witnessing tool.


God intends for us to have a joy and a peace in our lives- peace that is filled with a longing for Him and His goodness. He desires us to be content where He has placed us.  He wants us to long and hunger for Him.  

Paul was in prison in Rome and he was still joyful. He was thankful for those that shared his faith. He
had a thankful heart for his friends. He spoke of their kind hearts, he did not point out they were indebted to him for their souls but he exhorted them to good deeds.  He desired for them to grow closer to God, he turned them to prayer and did not covet their material possessions because what he had in his relationship with God was so much more valuable.  May we be like Paul, rejoicing always  regardless of our circumstances, and always rejoicing with others always remembering to pray for others.

Phillipians 4
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God,which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

May we keep in check how social media impacts our thoughts and service to God.  If it is a ticking time bomb eating away at your joy, take some time to pray for God to redirect your affections towards Him and not the things of this world. 




No comments:

Post a Comment