Monday, July 27, 2015

Out with the Old...In with the New...Annie Sloan Chalk Paint



This is my old kitchen table.  I have had it for ten years. I loved it for years...then it began to show wear.  It had nicks on it, some scratches not to mention a few homework answers where the kids wrote too hard.  It had developed sentimental value. I wanted a change but lost interest after a little while.  This summer I decided I should get a new table.  I shopped around, and I found a piece I loved.  I almost purchased it until a friend said, "Why not paint this one?  It is perfectly fine-it just needs a little touch up."  I decided to go for it.

I am a contractors daughter BTW but other than that, not a creative person.  Thus, I was introduced to Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. No prep work just brush that paint on and it will stick!

No prep work...I can do that...here are the results....

Old White Annie Sloan Paint




Now to clear wax it....




Now, the regret sets in and I have a brain freeze. I did not want white...I thought this was going to be cream. So I quit.  A friend comes over (isn't it great to have friends to cheer you on?).  She says I am too far in to it to quit (no I am not, that nice table is still available at the furniture store).   But, I decide to move forward and add Dark Wax. 

Here are the results....


Happy again, I decide to move forward and paint the table. 

This is Coco Annie Sloan Paint.  



 I add some Dark Wax and decide I am pleased so I paint the base to match the chairs.





Beyond the fact that I learned Annie Sloan paint is easy to use and the wax is the hardest part, I learned some spiritual lessons.  My mind is always thinking what lesson do you have in this for me Lord. I use to love using those lessons when I taught Sunday School, now they teach me and I share them with you!

I thought my old table was unworthy and ready to be trashed.  It was used up, marked up, and gave me a dreary feeling when I looked at it.  Wow.  That is what sin does to our lives. It consumes us and makes us think we are unworthy.  Romans 3:23 says we are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God.  However, when God looks at us, he sees purity because Jesus Christ washes away that sin and purifies our souls.  Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." He makes us white as snow...like my chairs.

God never gives up on us. He knows we will make mistakes, we are a sinful being but His forgiveness leaves us grace filled.  Beings created to bring hope to this world. Romans 3:24 ... and we are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

When I looked at my black table, that is all I saw, a black table. Now, when the blinds are open, I see so much more. The table does not draw my eye to it like the black one did. It simply is just the beginning of my perspective when I look in that direction. I see the birds, the pool, God's creation. I hardly notice the table.  May we be like that to others. Not someone hard to be with but someone who draws others eyes to Christ.  A light in darkness.  1 Corinthians 10: 31 says "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

What a blessing to realize we are created purposefully by our God to bring glory and honor to Him.  Live each day knowing He has a purpose for you today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment