Sunday, February 16, 2014

Hungry for Him...

Hungry for Him

As you begin to read this, I want you to recall what you had for supper the last three nights. If you are like me, you had to pause and think about it for a minute.  More than likely, at one of those meals you had more than one option to choose from.  Hold on to that thought....

It is not uncommon in my job to meet families who have limited to no food. For some children, breakfast and lunch at school are their only meals.  When you ask what they had to eat for the last three meals, they can tell you each item on their plate down to how much salt they used!  I have never heard a hungry child complain because they were given squash instead of mashed potatoes.  Why?  Because they don't take for granted the food they are given and cherish each morsel given.  Usually when offered, parents will accept food but say "don't worry about me, as long as my children have food, I will be fine."  Unselfish, unconditional love.....willing to skip a meal for themselves to ensure their children are fed.

A lesson in this on counting our blessings...Oh when our cup runneth over, are we thankful and hungry for more?  Do we count our blessings one by one, right down to the salt of life? Or do we complain about "squash" longing for something else-- taking for granted God's goodness?  Like our meals do we have to stop and ponder what our blessings are or can we name them right down to each morsel? 1Thessalonians 5:16-18---tells us to pray continuously and to give thanks in all things, in all circumstances....every morsel, every trial, every triumph....God has a reason...Jeremiah 29:11-13

Spiritually I want to be like the parent willing to give up something she needed to make sure someone else was full.  Do we have faith like the little girl I talked to recently?  When I asked her about giving her some food...she said..."oh my mama will not let me go hungry."  God is not going to let us go hungry when we hunger and thirst for righteousness....do we live like we believe it?  Matthew 5:1-12

May we hunger for the things of God, willing to sacrifice if asked, always longing for the things of God--counting every morsel with thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment